Monday, December 8, 2014

Kendall the Nephite

I knew one day it would happen. Some day, some way somebody from church would need/ask me to do something that I would be COMPLETELY CLUELESS how to do. It happened. While it's the first, I'm not betting anything it will be the last.

Our ward Christmas party was this past weekend had the theme "Christmas in the Americas." Last year, I think the theme (we hadn't moved here yet) was something like "Christmas in Bethlehem" and was such a hit that they kept things pretty similar. This included a very well put together Christmas play/production in which Kendall was asked to participate. The play basically included scenes and prophets from the Book of Mormon that prophesied of Jesus's birth. Kendall was asked to be Nephi (as in the one in 3rd Nephi.....or at least not the one in 1st Nephi....but I digress).

Great! I can't act, so I thought I was off the hook :) That's when I realized that husband of mine would need some sort of costume. Now, I can't work a sewing machine by myself if my life depended on it, and I'm not one of those creative sorts. Therefore, you can understand my sense of panic. All I can say is that I'm so grateful for Google and those creative people out there who take pity on the rest of us and post their genius ideas. I found this video (I'm passing it on because I would imagine a lot of you will someday need a Biblical or Book of Mormonical costume, and this saved my skin) that taught me how to make a no-sew Biblical tunic. Seriously, it's as easy as this lady makes it look....thought it took me a bit longer because I don't cut straight lines nearly as fast and fearlessly as this woman.


Anyway, as you can see in Kendall's costume, I added a felt sash thing, a yellow waist tie, and yellow headband to make it a little bit more Nephite-ish (though as Kendall insists, who really knows what they wore anyway, right?). Good luck in your future church costume making endeavors!

PS- Apparently, the tunic was so comfy Kendall wore it pretty much all day...hence this picture I took upon returning home from being gone several hours. hehe




1 comment:

  1. "Mormonical" haha! Great word. If he's still wearing that when we see you in a couple weeks ...I won't be surprised...

    ReplyDelete